Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Clear oxtail soup is a classic German recipe.
- 36 ounces oxtails
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 turnip
- 1 parsnip
- 1 parsley root
- 1 carrot, large
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 1 1⁄2 ounces lean bacon, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 pints hot water
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 allspice berries
- 1 clove
- 1 small bay leaf
- black pepper, fresh ground
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- red wine
- Rinse the oxtail under cold running water and pat dry.
- Cut into pieces.
- Wash and finely chop the other soup vegetables.
- Heat the butter in a large pot and brown the oxtail and bacon.
- Add ALL the vegetables into pot and cook 2-4 more minutes.
- Add peppercorns, allspice berries, clove, bay leaf, salt and water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until all ingredients are cooked.
- Strain the soup through a sieve (Add back some water if to much has evaporated).
- Skim the fat off top of soup (I like to chill broth to remove the fat then reheat and contuine).
- Strain the soup through a cloth.
- Remove meat off bones and cut into small pieces and return meat to the pan.
- Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice, red wine and sugar.