1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Posted from a African recipe site for the Zaar World tour to Africa. Cant wait to try this one as coconut pie is a favorite. This one is more of a coconut custard pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups finely grated fresh coconut
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small bits
- 2 eggs, lightlu beaten
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 baked short-crust pastry pie shell
- 8 slices candied citron peel, 1 long by 1/8 wide
- 115Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cook briskly, undisturbed, until the syrup reaches a temperature of 230 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- 2Remove the pan from the heat, add the coconut and butter, and stir until the butter is completely melted.
- 3Let the mixture cool to room temp, then vigorously beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- 4Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 5In a small pan, melt the apricot jam over low heat, stirring constantly.
- 6Rub the jam through a fine sieve, and brush the jam evenly over the bottom of the baked pie shell.
- 7Pour the coconut mixture into the pie shell, spreading it smoothly. Bake for about 40 minutes.
- 8Filling should be firm and golden brown. Before serving, arrange the thin strips of citron in a sunburst pattern in the center of the pie.
- 9Serve warm or at room temperature; can be accompanied by whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Klappertert (Coconut Pie) South Africa
Serving Size: 1 (1331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3825.9
- Calories from Fat 2009
- Total Fat 223.3 g
- Saturated Fat 134.4 g
- Cholesterol 794.9 mg
- Sodium 1162.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 445.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.3 g
- Sugars 330.6 g
- Protein 35.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied citron peel