Recipe by LAURIE
Posted from a African recipe site for the Zaar World tour to Africa. Cant wait to try this one as coconut pie is a favorite. This one is more of a coconut custard pie.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 cups finely grated fresh coconut
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small bits
- 2 eggs, lightlu beaten
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 baked short-crust pastry pie shell
- 8 slices candied citron peel, 1 long by 1/8 wide
Directions See How It's Made
- 15Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cook briskly, undisturbed, until the syrup reaches a temperature of 230 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the coconut and butter, and stir until the butter is completely melted.
- Let the mixture cool to room temp, then vigorously beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small pan, melt the apricot jam over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Rub the jam through a fine sieve, and brush the jam evenly over the bottom of the baked pie shell.
- Pour the coconut mixture into the pie shell, spreading it smoothly. Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Filling should be firm and golden brown. Before serving, arrange the thin strips of citron in a sunburst pattern in the center of the pie.
- Serve warm or at room temperature; can be accompanied by whipped cream.