Recipe by Sheynath
A delicious beverage based on a drink described in the "Dragonriders of Pern" books by Anne McCaffrey. This recipe makes a large single serving. I mix the dry ingredients and take baggies of it to work to leave in my desk for whenever I need a pick-me-up.
Top Tweak by B'lair
Instead of using instant coffee, I like to mix the cocoa and spice blend into brewed coffee. It's richer, and I find it's easier to tweak if you want it stronger or not. But I love your spice blend!
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, unsweetened (I like Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 cups water
- sugar (optional)
- milk (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cocoa powder, coffee and spices in microwave-safe mug.
- Add vanilla (if using) and water. Stir to combine.
- Heat in microwave for approximately 2 minutes, or until as hot as you like it. (Alternately, heat water in saucepan and pour hot water over dry ingredients.).
- Stir well.
- Sweeten and/or add milk as desired.