Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
As a Maryland native growing up, crab was always plentiful, available and fresh - usually caught that day. Today I buy fresh lump or jumbo lump crab for this soup, depending on the audience. Using a lesser grade of crab won't give you the premium results you are probably seeking.
- 453.59 g backfin crab meat
- 59.14 ml butter
- 29.58 ml onions, chopped very fine
- 78.07 ml flour
- 396.89 g can chicken broth (don't use a heavy stock)
- 118.29 ml dry sherry (very dry sherry should be pale yellow in color)
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml salt (to taste)
- 709.77 ml whole milk
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 2.0-2.25 ml Tabasco sauce
- 2.0-2.25 ml of a less vinegary hot sauce (such as Texas Pete's or Frank's)
- 0.25 ml cayenne (just a very light shake!)
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml tomato paste (use concentrated, it comes in a tube)
- Gently remove cartilage from crab meat.
- Melt butter in a 2-3 quart sauce pan.
- Add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes - until translucent.
- Blend in flour and cook as a roux on medium-low heat until the flour-butter mixture "loosens", which indicates the flour is cooked (about 5 minutes).
- Off the heat, stir in chicken broth and sherry, return to the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, milk and cream, then stir in Tabasco, cayenne and sugar.
- Use a little of the liquid to thin the tomato paste and stir it back into the soup.
- Cook on med-low heat until thickened, but do not let it boil.
- Taste it, and when the cream base is cooked and seasoned to your liking, add the crab.
- Heat gently another 5 minutes and serve.
- Serving suggestion: make a lightly sweetened whipped cream to dollop on top and serve with a small pitcher of the sherry to add at the table.
- A small amount of fresh chopped parsley around the edge of a soup plate is attractive, but don't use too much because you don't want to affect the flavor of the soup.
This recipe was absolutly amazing. I love cream of crab soup, but I always find the recipies a little plain. This has a smooth blast of flavor. Thank you. I hand picked my crabs which we cooked with old bay and of course I added about a teaspoon of old bay to the soup. Other than that little bit of changes I followed the recipe exactly. Kudos to the creator.
Another 5 star for your cream of crab soup...IA friend of mine tried it and fell in love with it.It is just one great recipe.Also thank you again for your helpful reviews of my puffing crab.. sandy