1/1 Photo of Kk's Cream of Crab Soup
KK - Chef #426156's Note:
As a Maryland native growing up, crab was always plentiful, available and fresh - usually caught that day. Today I buy fresh lump or jumbo lump crab for this soup, depending on the audience. Using a lesser grade of crab won't give you the premium results you are probably seeking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g backfin crab meat
- 59.14 ml butter
- 29.58 ml onions, chopped very fine
- 78.07 ml flour
- 396.89 g can chicken broth (don't use a heavy stock)
- 118.29 ml dry sherry (very dry sherry should be pale yellow in color)
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml salt (to taste)
- 709.77 ml whole milk
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 2.0-2.25 ml Tabasco sauce
- 2.0-2.25 ml of a less vinegary hot sauce (such as Texas Pete's or Frank's)
- 0.25 ml cayenne (just a very light shake!)
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml tomato paste (use concentrated, it comes in a tube)
- 1Gently remove cartilage from crab meat.
- 2Melt butter in a 2-3 quart sauce pan.
- 3Add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes - until translucent.
- 4Blend in flour and cook as a roux on medium-low heat until the flour-butter mixture "loosens", which indicates the flour is cooked (about 5 minutes).
- 5Off the heat, stir in chicken broth and sherry, return to the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- 6Add salt, pepper, milk and cream, then stir in Tabasco, cayenne and sugar.
- 7Use a little of the liquid to thin the tomato paste and stir it back into the soup.
- 8Cook on med-low heat until thickened, but do not let it boil.
- 9Taste it, and when the cream base is cooked and seasoned to your liking, add the crab.
- 10Heat gently another 5 minutes and serve.
- 11Serving suggestion: make a lightly sweetened whipped cream to dollop on top and serve with a small pitcher of the sherry to add at the table.
- 12A small amount of fresh chopped parsley around the edge of a soup plate is attractive, but don't use too much because you don't want to affect the flavor of the soup.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kk's Cream of Crab Soup
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 607.1
- Calories from Fat 373
- Total Fat 41.4 g
- Saturated Fat 24.8 g
- Cholesterol 218.9 mg
- Sodium 1484.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 31.1 g