Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is soooo delicious. A hit with even the pickiest eater.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar (I've used regular vinegar and it works fine)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 -4 kiwi fruits
- 1 -2 cup strawberry (I use the frozen ones, much easier)
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries (also frozen)
- Best to make the meringue the night before.
- Preheat oven to 275F (135C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 9 inch circle on paper. To make meringue, beat egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in superfine sugar, then continue to beat 5 minutes. Fold in cornstarch and vinegar. Using a metal spatula, spread meringue mixture evenly over circle on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in oven 10 minutes. Lower heat to 225F (105C) and cook 45 minutes more. Turn off heat and leave meringue in oven to cool slowly 1 hour at least. I usually leave it in all night. Remove from oven and carefully transfer to a plate.
- Make sure your fruit is thawed at this point.
- To make filling, whip cream with sugar until thick. You can cut up 1 kiwi into the whipped cream if you like. I normally do, but make sure your kiwis are sweet before you do, otherwise you can ruin the whipped cream.
- Carefully spoon cream mixture over meringue, smoothing with a metal spatula. Decorate top with fruit. I slice the kiwis and line them all around the edge. Then I put the strawberries inside the kiwi line and in the very center I put the blueberries. Serve immediately cut in wedges.