Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Kiwifruit have been maligned because they were overused in nouvelle cuisine of the seventies. They do have a cool flavor, like a blend of bananas and peaches. All of the commercially produced kiwifruit in the United States comes from California. Kiwis flavored with a dash of Campari make a beautiful green sherbet. You may, if you wish, force the purée through a very fine mesh sieve to remove the tiny seeds, but this is a refinement and not essential.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 6 large kiwi fruits (about 1 1/4lbs)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons campari
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil and boil until the sugar dissolves. Chill before using.
- Peel the kiwifruit and purée them in a blender or food processor.
- Add sugar syrup, lemon juice and Campari and blend well.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.