Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 4 kiwi, pared
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- Combine water, sugar and corn syrup in saucepan.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Puree kiwi in food processor or blender to equal 3/4 cup puree.
- Add lemon juice, peel and sugar mix.
- Pour into shallow metal pan and freeze for approximately 1 hour or until the mixture is firm, but not solid.
- When chilled, spoon into a chilled bowl and beat with an electric mixer until the mix is light and fluffy.
- Return it to the freezer for approximately 2 hours or until firm enough to scoop.
I didn't have any kiwis, so I used a large mango that was about to go bad. It turned out quite nice, although my husband found that the lemon was over powering. I would suggest maybe 3-3.5tbsp of the lemon juice instead of 5. I also found that in the freeze above my fridge, the gelato did not harden until the next day. Other wise very easy to make and tasty.
I like the taste of this, and my kids did too. I was trying to find a way to use up some overripe kiwis, and was happy to find this. They must have been smaller kiwis though, because I needed to use 6 to get 3/4 cup of puree. I think this will be a great recipe to try in the summer as it is very refreshing.
I only had 2 kiwi, so I halved the recipe. Delicious! Even my 7 year old granddaughter liked it and she is not too fond of kiwi. I like that the recipe is simple and does not contain heavy cream or half and half. Thanks.