Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I found that I want to try so I am posting for safe keeping. This recipe is from Ball Canning.
- 2 cups crushed peeled kiwi fruits (about 5 medium)
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) packageball original fruit pectin
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- COMBINE kiwifruit, pineapple juice and lime juice in a large saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Add sugar and return to a full rolling boil that can not be stirred down, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Immediately stir in rum and green food coloring, if using. Remove from heat. Skim off foam if necessary.
- LADLE hot jam into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
- Quick Tip.
- For even more tropical flair, add flaked coconut with the sugar to the fruit and juice before returning to a full rolling boil.
I was looking for a recipe for fruit jam with rum in it. I used this but used what I had. I used 1 c strawberries, 1 c peaches. Strawberry/kiwi juice and passion fruit rum. OMG! It is spectacular. I did add an extra half cup sugar because I am tired of my jams not setting. It set beautifully. I can't wait to try other combos. It only made 5 half pints, so I've got to make several more batches.Yummy.
I made this jam a while ago and forgot to review it. It came out great. I used the food coloring so it came out very pretty in the jars. The rum was a pretty strong flavor so I might add a little less next time or maybe use a light rum. Thanks for the great recipe!