Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from Vegetarian Times. May 2005. This sounds so pretty!
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 whole cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 whole allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large oranges, peeled and white pith removed, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 4 kiwi fruits, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Combine 3/4 cup water, sugar, cardamom, allspice and cinnamon in saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook until liquid is syrupy and slightly reduced, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Put orange and kiwi slices in shallow bowl. Pour hot syrup over fruit.
- Let cool to room temperature, cover and chill at least 1 hour, up to 4 hours. Sprinkle with almonds, and serve.