Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A nutritious traditional dish from Paraguay, named from the Guarani word for reddish, Kiveve is eaten as a side dish with meats, or as a dessert. (Adapted from "Guarani Ñanduti Rogue".)
- 2 lbs pumpkin, peeled
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, coarse
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄3 lb queso fresco, crumbled
- In a saucepan, boil the pumpkin in water until soft. Drain and mash.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil and saute the onion until golden.
- Add milk, pumpkin, salt and sugar.
- Gradually stir in cornmeal.
- Cook about 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add cheese, remove from heat, and continue stirring until blended.