Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Bean soup made with 15 bean package
- 1 (16 ounce) bag 15 bean soup mix or 1 (16 ounce) bag 10 bean soup mix, with cajun seasoning included
- 2 ham hocks
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 lb hot Polish sausage
- 1 lb raw boneless chicken breast
- Sort and rinse beans.
- Combine beans, 7 cups water, beer, ham hocks, seasoning packet in large 6-8 quart pan.
- Bring to boil and reduce to a rapid simmer.
- Add chopped onions, celery, garlic and tomatoes to pan.
- Simmer, covered, for at least 2 hours.
- Remove ham meat, chop fine, and add rest of meat, cut into small chunks.
- Simmer for 1 hours more until beans are soft.
- *Mynotes: I did not use but about 4 cups of water, as we like it thicker.
- And I had to cook it a long time, to get the big beans tender.