Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mother-in-law made us smile every St. Pat's day with this fool-proof recipe-We miss ya Kitty!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat Oven to 375°F.
- grease a 2 quart Casserole.
- into a mixing bowl, shift flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- cut in butter w/ pastry cutter (or 2 knives scissor fashion), until like course cornmeal.
- Stir in raisins.
- In separate bowl combine buttermilk, egg and baking soda.
- stir into flour mixture until just moistened.
- turn onto lightly floured surface,.
- Knead lightly until smooth.
- shape into ball and place in casserole.
- Make 4 inch cross 1/4 inch deep.
- brush with egg yolk.
- bake 1 hour cool in pan for 10 minutes.