Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is the perfect white sauce that will pair with anything ---for a more cheesy sauce grated cheddar may be stirred in at the end :)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitiutions)
- 2 -3 fresh minced garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup white flour
- 2 -3 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 -3 tablespoons whipping cream, not whipped
- salt (to taste, to be added in at the end) (optional)
- In a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan melt 1/2 cup butter.
- Add in fresh garlic, boullion powder and black pepper; saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in flour, whisk for one minute.
- Add in half and half cream, Parmesan cheese; whisk until the mixture reaches a light boil and has thickened.
- Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in whipping cream.
- Add in more Parmesan cheese if desired; stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add in grated cheddar cheese (if using) stir until melted.
Excellent sauce. Perfect with grilled chicken and penne pasta, or steamed or sauted asparagus or any other veggie! Big Hit with the family and it has a million and one uses! LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!!
This was a WONDERFUL white sauce. I am always trying to find a good white sauce to serve with a family favorite of broiled Salmon with caramelized onion and diced fresh cooked beets. We spread sauce on the plate and place the salmon and beets on top and onions on top of the salmon. Very Yummy! My search is over as this was the perfect sauce! I didn't have any chicken bouillon powder, so I used my mini food processor to finely grind 3 Wylers chicken cubes. I also used Sargento's Italian blend shredded cheese - (6 shredded cheeses: Mozzarella, Povolone, Parmesan, Romano, Fontina, & Asiago). Thanks again for such a GREAT recipe.
This is my new white sauce recipe. The old one just had to be thrown out after tasting this.