This salad it good in all seasons, you can omit the sour cream and use all mayo, I prefer it with the sour cream, since I really don't bother with exact amounts when I make this, the amounts listed are only a guideline but close to what I use, you certainly may adjust all ingredients to taste, and the recipe may be doubled :)
- 4 large potatoes (peeled or skin left on, or use 5 medium potatoes)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 small celery, finely diced
- 2 green onions, chopped (or use 1 small yellow onions, finely chopped)
- 59.14 ml mayonnaise
- 59.14 ml sour cream
- 59.14 ml sweet relish
- 14.79-29.58 ml prepared yellow mustard (if you are a mustard lover then use the 2 tablespoons!)
- 2.46 ml garlic powder (use only garlic powder, not fresh garlic)
- 0.25 ml dried dill (optional)
- 4.92 ml seasoning salt (or to taste, or 1/2 teaspoon white salt or to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Place the whole potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil, cook until JUST tender (do not cook the potatoes until very soft or they will break apart when mixing).
- Drain and dice the potatoes, then place in a large bowl.
- Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water; bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute; cover then remove from heat and let the eggs sit in the water for 20 minutes.
- Peel eggs and coarsley chop, then place into the bowl with potatoes.
- Add in celery and green onion; toss gently to combine.
- In a bowl mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, relish, mustard and seasoned salt, garlic powder and dill (if using) mix until well combined; add to the potato mixture and toss gently to combine.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve warm.
Excellent! A perfect country style potato salad. Used 1/2 small yellow onion, Miracle Whip and about 1/2 cup of sour cream. Added a couple of tablespoons of pickle juice. Followed everything else except putting it together. I diced my potatoes BEFORE boiling and put the chopped eggs in the bowl first, add all the dressing ingredients and then added the warm drained potatoes. EASY and perfect....My family liked it better than any they ever had! Thanks!!
We liked this salad very much. Loved that you can eat it hot or cold. Thanks for posting this very good recipe.
Wonderful warm potato salad. IMO, it's just as wonderful chilled, too. I used the chopped white onion and used the full 2 tbsp of mustard. This was a great addition to our cookout today, and will be for many more to come. Thanx, Kit! :)