Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This also works well using half each ground beef and spicy bulk pork sausage meat, make certain to brown the meat well to increase the flavor, this soup tastes even better the following day so you may want to make it up to a few days ahead and refrigerate just warm on top of the stove before serving, it also freezes very well, the taco seasoning is only optional I also like to add in a minced jalapeno pepper when browning the meat-- see my Kittencal's Rich Homemade Beef Stock (Crock-Pot or Stove Top)
Top Review by pasmaszek
This recipe has become a go to winter soup recipe for me over the past 2 years. My husband will request it. I have come to add more of some things and less of others and experimented around with it. We all just love it... after sending some home with a friend of my husbands he called and asked if I put "crack" in it, as in it was so delicious and addicting. I am getting ready to make a batch of this and can't wait!
As always Kitten another good recipe! Tonight was actually the 2nd time I've made it. The first time I had such good compliments from several friends as well as my family who ate it, everyone loved it. The first time I followed the written recipe exactly, did not use jalapenos or cheese (hubs is lactose intolerant), but did use the taco seasoning. This time I did everything the same as the first time except I did half beef and half pork sausage as well as added a can of corn (as suggested by the friends who ate it). Its cooking now and I cannot wait to eat it tomorrow!
- 680.38 g lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced (the more garlic, the better!)
- 29.58 ml taco seasoning mix (optional or can use more)
- 4.92 ml crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to taste)
- 2 (793.78 g) can beef broth
- 2 (609.51 g) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 113.39 g can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 9.85 ml seasoning salt (or to taste, or can use white salt)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 473.18 ml cooked white rice
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven or or large pot cook the ground beef with onions and bell peppers over medium-high heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain the fat.
- Add in garlic and chili flakes; continue to cook over medium-high heat until the meat is browned (this may take about 15 minutes or more to brown the meat).
- Mix in the taco seasoning (if using) cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Stir in beef broth, 2 cans tomato soup, crushed tomatoes and drained mushrooms; bring to a boil stirring.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered for about 50-60 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper about halfway through cooking.
- At the end of cooking add in the rice and heat through.
- Ladle into bowls then sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.