1 hr 15 mins
This also works well using half each ground beef and spicy bulk pork sausage meat, make certain to brown the meat well to increase the flavor, this soup tastes even better the following day so you may want to make it up to a few days ahead and refrigerate just warm on top of the stove before serving, it also freezes very well, the taco seasoning is only optional I also like to add in a minced jalapeno pepper when browning the meat-- see my Kittencal's Rich Homemade Beef Stock (Crock-Pot or Stove Top)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced (the more garlic, the better!)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (optional or can use more)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to taste)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste, or can use white salt)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1In a Dutch oven or or large pot cook the ground beef with onions and bell peppers over medium-high heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain the fat.
- 2Add in garlic and chili flakes; continue to cook over medium-high heat until the meat is browned (this may take about 15 minutes or more to brown the meat).
- 3Mix in the taco seasoning (if using) cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 4Stir in beef broth, 2 cans tomato soup, crushed tomatoes and drained mushrooms; bring to a boil stirring.
- 5Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered for about 50-60 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper about halfway through cooking.
- 6At the end of cooking add in the rice and heat through.
- 7Ladle into bowls then sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Unstuffed Pepper Soup
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.0
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 55.2 mg
- Sodium 908.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 23.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: