Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is worth making it is so delicious! Greek yogurt is richer and thicker then regular yogurt and is the best used for this recipe, if you cannot find Greek yogurt just use 4 cups regular full-fat plain yogurt and drain it in the fridge through a triple thickness of cheesecloth for 8 hours or overnight, if you are using Greek yogurt you will not have to strain it, once you try Greek yogurt you will never go back to regular yogurt again! Plan ahead this needs to chill for a minimum of 2 hours, you won't be able to keep your spoon out of the bowl LOL! Make certain to drain the cucumber very well for this. Serve this anyway or with anything you want to, it is great on pita. Prep time is only if you are using the Greek yogurt if you are straining the yogurt prep time will be more.
- 3 cups Greek yogurt (yiaourti sakoulas)
- 2 lbs cucumbers (about 3 medium, peeled and chopped finely)
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh garlic (if you like a strong garlic taste add in more!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Put the finely chopped cucumbers in a sieve and press out as much excess liquid as possible.
- In a large bowl mix the minced garlic with the salt into a paste.
- Add in the Greek yogurt (or strained yogurt) with garlic/salt paste, add to the drained cucumbers, mint, olive oil, more salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill for a minimum of 2 hours before serving (you won't be able to keep you spoon out of the bowl lol!).
Super Awesome! This was very fresh & delicious! Served on chicken pita sandwiches with tomatoes, kalamata olives & feta. SO GOOD!! Thanks!!
This is really good. I add a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten the flavor even more. English cucumbers blotted with paper towels are the best to use in this.
Okay...can I just say YUM!? Super easy to make (had a lot of surplus cukes from the garden, plus home grown mint), and after the flavors marry, I'm sure it'll be even better. Going to use it on our gyros tomorrow! Good Stuff!!!!