Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I developed this recipe, it is really good, and can be made using cooked turkey or cooked chicken, it is better with turkey! The bouillon powder is optional, I like to add in in for extra flavor. In place of the crescent rolls you can use puff pastry or prepared pie pastry. The mixture must be hot before topping with the crescent crust. Add in some fresh sauteed or canned mushrooms also if desired, to save some time cook your potatoes a day ahead.
- 2 -3 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked and cubed
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots (thawed under warm water)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup flour, plus
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups turkey broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream (or use full-fat milk)
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder (I just use 3 small packages OXO bouillon powder)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimiento strips (drained and chopped)
- 4 cups diced cooked turkey or 4 cups cooked chicken
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (to taste) or 2 teaspoons white salt (to taste)
- black pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated old cheddar cheese (can use more)
- 2⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9 or an 11 x 7-inch-inch baking dish, or an oval or round casserole dish.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add in onion, garlic, dryed thyme and cayenne pepper; saute for about 4 minutes or until veggies are soft.
- Add in 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons flour and whisk for 1 minute.
- Add in broth, half and half cream, whipping cream, bouillon powder, Parmesan cheese and pimientos; stir until combined, smooth and thickened.
- Add in cooked turkey or chicken; bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Season with seasoned salt and black pepper, then add in cooked cubed potatoes and thawed peas and carrots; cook until just heated through.
- Add in cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- For the crust; unroll two packages of crescent rolls, pinch the perforations to seal to make 2 large rectangles.
- Spread both rectangles on top of the hot turkey mixture, pinching edges to seal against the baking dish (does not have to seal tightly, you might have some dough left over from the two rectangles).
- Using a fork prick some holes in the crust to allow steam to escape.
- In a small bowl mix together 1-1/2 cups grated cheddar with sliced almonds, then sprinkle over the crescent roll crust.
- Drizzle with melted butter on top.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and the crust is golden.
- Let sit for about 20 minutes or more before slicing.