1 hr 10 mins
This filling is also wonderful served over baked puff pastry shells or Texas toast instead of baking in a pie shell --- make two and freeze one for another meal! to save time you may cook the potatoes a day ahead and refrigerate, since the bouillon powder has a high sodium content do not add in any salt until the end of cooking ;-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 unbaked pie pastry (use 9 or 10-inch deep-dish pie shells)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (omit if you are not a garlic-lover)
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or use 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder (I use 2 small packages OXO bouillon powder)
- 2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth (use only low-sodium)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, unwhipped (35%, you could be light cream but will not be as good)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen diced mixed vegetables, slightly thawed (such peas, corn and carrots, can use more)
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey or 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 potatoes, peeled (cooked and cubed)
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- seasoning salt (to taste, or use white salt)
- 1Fit one pastry into the bottom of a 9 or 10-inch deep-dish pie plate; set aside.
- 2In a large skillet heat 1/3 cup butter over medium heat; add in onion, garlic, celery, thyme and cayenne (if using) cook for about 4 minutes.
- 3Add in flour and bouillon powder; stir with a wooden spoon for 1-2 minutes.
- 4Slowly add in the chicken broth and heavy cream; heat stirring with a wooden spoon until bubbly and thickened.
- 5Add in cooked turkey and frozen vegetables; simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- 6Mix in cooked cubed potatoes, then season with black pepper and a little salt to taste (you may omit the salt if desired).
- 7Pour the mixture into the pie shell.
- 8Roll one pastry over top, seal and and flute the edges as desired.
- 9Using a small sharp knife make 3 slits into the top of the crust.
- 10Place the pie onto a baking sheet.
- 11Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- 12Reduce oven temperature to 350 degres F and continue baking for 30 minutes or until the pie bubbles slightly out of the top slits and the crust is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Turkey or Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 634.6
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 76.2 mg
- Sodium 772.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 23.0 g