Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a simple recipe but big on flavor and it even tastes better if left in the fridge a few hours to blend the flavors so I suggest to do that --- it's wonderful with a slice of tomato on top of the tuna and served between two thick slices of toasted whole grain bread or in a pita bread or served on a plate on top of a bed of lettuce --- I sometimes add in some chopped small sweet gherkin pickles or yum yum pickles also --- feel free to add in some cooked macaroni pasta and serve on a plate --- please only fresh lemon juice for this bottled is just not the same, I have left the mustard powder and Tabasco as optional I most always add it in it takes this salad to another level :)
Top Review by georgeweezie_8318418
I always try Kittencal's recipes when they show up and my family is never disappointed! I know our tastes so I usually tweak the first time unless I am thoroughly unfamiliar with the ingredients and so this one I used one big can of chunk light tuna in water, 2 green onions, no pickle relish (don't like sweet with my tuna), plain pepper rather than lemon pepper and since we had no tabasco in house I just put in a good healthy spoonful of horseradish. I also added 2 tablespoons of flat-leaf parsley and took the advice to let it sit overnight. HOLY BUCKETS IS THIS STUFF DELICIOUS! I've made it two days in a row, sent it with hubby for lunch, had it for lunch and dinner and now lunch again and I polished it off with half a box of Roasted Garlic Triscuits. WOW!!! for the sake of my waistline I will have to limit myself to one batch a week because I cannot be trusted to make more!!! THANK YOU KITCALKITCH!!!!!
- 2 (7 ounce) cans solid white tuna (squeeze out excess moisture with hands)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 small celery rib, finely diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat mayonnaise (can use full-fat mayonnaise)
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper (can use fresh ground black pepper)
- seasoning salt (to taste or use white salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder (optional)
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 4 -6 slices bread
- lettuce leaf
- tomatoes, slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the tuna then hand-squeeze out any excess moisture; place in a bowl then flake with a fork.
- Add in all remaining ingredients up to the Tabasco sauce; mix until well combined, adjusting all seasonings to suit taste.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours (more is even better!).
- Divide onto bread slices with lettuce leaves and slices tomatoes.