1/6 Photos of Kittencal's Thick and Rich Creamy Tomato Soup (Low-Fat Option)
1 hr 10 mins
This is 100% better than any canned tomato soup! --- If you find that the soup is too thick for your liking you may thin out with more tomato juice during cooking if desired, I strongly suggest to use V-8 tomato juice for the best flavor, this soup will only improve in flavor the longer it is cooked and it tastes even better the next day, it also freezes well -------- LOW-FAT OPTION reduce the butter amount or use a healthy alternative such as Smart Balance Butter Blend and use fat-free milk or fat-free half and half
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or finely chopped)
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups tomato juice, divided
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 -4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- crouton (see my Kittencal's Garlic Croutons)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1In a bowl combine 2 cups tomato juice with crushed tomatoes and milk.
- 2In a saucepan melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- 3Add in onion and dried oregano; saute until softened (about 3 minutes).
- 4Add in garlic and red pepper flakes; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 5Add in flour and stir for 1 minute.
- 6Slowly add in the tomato/milk mixture whisking constantly to remove any lumps; bring to a boil stirring frequently until bubbly and thickened, then season with sugar, salt and pepper (the mixture will be quite thick).
- 7Reduce heat to low, add in remaining 1 cup of tomato juice (or more) and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour (can simmer longer if desired, if the soup is still too thick for your liking add in more tomato juice and keep seasoning with salt and pepper if needed during cooking).
- 8Ladle into bowl then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and croutons if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Thick and Rich Creamy Tomato Soup (Low-Fat Option)
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.1
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 15.7 mg
- Sodium 575.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 3.7 g