I have made this many times to serve at get togethers and I always receive rave reviews from everyone! if desired the amounts may reduced to half --- to save some time the beef may be cooked a day ahead, and refrigerated overnight as it must be cooled completely before adding the ingredients in with it, you may want to purchase two bags of nacho chips and use one to serve on the side --- when cooking the ground beef, I always try to leave it into larger size chunks, it looks better in the salad, really you may use any size bag of nachos that you like, the 12 cups size is only estimated, you can add any amount desired in with the ground beef/salad mixture, just make sure to add them just before serving as they tend to get soggy --- see my Kittencal's Taco Seasoning Mix -- I sometimes add in a can of drained and rinsed black beans :)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packages taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, chopped (I use Roma)
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups black olives, sliced
- 12 cups nacho chips, 1 large (I use Doritos)
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle Catalina dressing (my The Best French Salad Dressing will also work well)
- Brown ground beef with the chopped yellow onion (not red).
- Add in only 1 package taco mix (and water according to the package direction); set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mix together chopped lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar cheese (can use more than 2 cups if desired, and the cheese may be cubed small instead of shredded) avocados, red onion, olives, and the second package of taco seasoning mix.
- Add to cooled beef mixture; toss to combine.
- Just before serving toss with the salad dressing.
- The last step (JUST BEFORE SERVING) is to mix in about three-quarters of the package of crushed Doritos, leaving the rest on the side for your guests who want extra (they will get soggy if you mix them in too early!).
Oh kitten this salad was AMAZING!!! We fell in love with it!!!
We don't eat beef so subbed kidney beans and skipped the avocado.
Used your taco seasoning mix and your catalina dressing.
I have already made this so many times in the past few days and have requests for more!
Thanks kitten I know I can always look up to your recipes for the best ones!!! :)
I made a vegetarian version with pinto beans instead of beef. I used half the listed amount of taco seasoning and thought it perfect. Thanks for sharing another great one!
Love Taco Salad and this is a good one. Made for Name that Ingredient.