Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Please make certain to bake the sweet potatoes not boil them, boiling them will produce a watery pulp that you will need to drain over a strainer to release the water --- you may also cook the sweet potato in the microwave instead of the oven, I sometimes add in about 1/2 cup raisins also --- better make two of these, they will be a hit at your holiday table :)
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie pastry
- 1 lb sweet potato (about 1 large)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, very soft (no subsitutes)
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar (for a sweeter taste use 1/2 cup sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream (or use 18% table cream)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a fork prick a few holes into the skin of the sweet potato, then wrap in foil.
- Place on a small baking sheet and bake until soft and fork tender (about 1 to 1-1/2 hours).
- Cool slightly then remove all the pulp and place in a large bowl; cool the pulp to room temperature.
- Add in the butter, both sugars, cream, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, flour and vanilla; beat on medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth and combined.
- Pour the filling onto the pie crust.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean (the pie will come out of the oven puffed up and then sink after it cools slightly).
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Cool and top with whipped cream, Cool Whip or ice cream.
Followed your recipe right on down, but when it came to the topping, my first slice was plain ol' pie, & it was delicious' I absolutely loved it, but then I enjoy sweet potatoes almost any way I can get 'em! Creamy & spicy ~ Couldn't be better! Yours is a recipe I'll be keeping around & making again & again! Thanks for sharing it! [made & reviewed in Zaar Cookbook recipe tag]!