Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Please make certain to bake the sweet potatoes not boil them, boiling them will produce a watery pulp that you will need to drain over a strainer to release the water --- you may also cook the sweet potato in the microwave instead of the oven, I sometimes add in about 1/2 cup raisins also --- better make two of these, they will be a hit at your holiday table :)
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie pastry
- 1 lb sweet potato (about 1 large)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, very soft (no subsitutes)
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar (for a sweeter taste use 1/2 cup sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream (or use 18% table cream)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a fork prick a few holes into the skin of the sweet potato, then wrap in foil.
- Place on a small baking sheet and bake until soft and fork tender (about 1 to 1-1/2 hours).
- Cool slightly then remove all the pulp and place in a large bowl; cool the pulp to room temperature.
- Add in the butter, both sugars, cream, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, flour and vanilla; beat on medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth and combined.
- Pour the filling onto the pie crust.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean (the pie will come out of the oven puffed up and then sink after it cools slightly).
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Cool and top with whipped cream, Cool Whip or ice cream.