Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you are searching for a really tasty dish made with sausages, then this is really good! it's my own creation, and my family loves this! Although this is a easy dish to put together, the cabbage will need some time to cook to desired tenderness, so this dish will take a couple of hours or a little less on top of the the stove. If you have some over ripe tomatoes chop them up and add into the sauce. All seasonings can be adjusted to suit taste, if you prefer a more sweeter taste, then just add in more brown sugar, you can really use how many sausages that you like, just make certain to purchase the large Italian spicy or regular, not the small breakfast pork sausages. Make certain that you use a very large frypan for this, or a Dutch oven, the cabbage takes up lots of space when cooking. I use my large electric frypan. Serve this over cooked rice. You will love this!
Top Review by Lindseypinch
Oh no!! I must have done something wrong, because I didn't like this at all! I had to throw it out. I'm bummed because I have made quite a few recipes from Kitten and they have ALL been fabulous. Maybe the flavors just didn't agree with our taste buds. I think maybe cutting out some of the tomato sauce and soup would have made it better. Way too saucy. Sorry!
- 6 -8 large Italian sausages (can use more or less)
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 medium green cabbage, coarsley chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup (undiluted)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (or to taste, start with 1/4 cup)
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In an extra large saute pan or Dutch oven, brown the Italian sausages in oil then remove to a plate, drain some of the oil if desired.
- In the same pan, add in the onions, garlic and chili flakes; saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the chopped cabbage, chopped green bell pepper with the undrained stewed tomatoes; cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in ALL remaining ingredients to the cabbage; mix well.
- Slice the sausages in smaller pieces and add in also.
- Cook for about 1-1/2 hours (or more or less until the cabbage is desied tenderness) stirring occasionally, adjusting ALL seasonings to suit taste, or until cabbage is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice.