1/3 Photos of Kittencal's Sub/Sandwich Buns
3 hrs 25 mins
This dough is an absolute pleasure to work with, it makes the best sub buns but of coarse you can use this dough for whatever you like, this dough also freezes well after the first rise and the baked buns also freeze well --- I like to add in 1 teaspoon malt powder to the flour mixture but that is only optional, it works with the yeast to improve flavor and texture of the dough and also improves the flavor somewhat.
My Private Note
large b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare a heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with a kneader attachment.
- 2Place about 3-1/2 cups flour in the bowl.
- 3Melt the shortening in the microwave; add to the bowl with the flour.
- 4In a measuring cup, measure out 1 cup milk, then add in 4 tablespoons sugar and the salt; heat until quite warm in the microwave, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- 5Pour the milk into the bowl with the melted shortening and flour; cover the bowl with a towel to keep ingredients warm.
- 6Proof the yeast in a 3/4 cup warm water with 1 teaspoon sugar for about 8-10 minutes or until foamy.
- 7After proofing, add to the bowl and start kneading for about 3-4 minutes, then add in more flour as needed to create a soft semi-sticky dough, knead about 8 more minutes until smooth.
- 8Place the dough on a very lightly floured counter or board; let rest for 5-10 minutes, covered with a clean tea towel.
- 9Grease a large bowl, then place the dough into bowl to rise in a warm place for about 50-60 minutes (because of the amount of yeast, the dough should take a shorter rising time in a warm place).
- 10Punch down dough.
- 11Cut into pieces (I usually cut into 6 pieces), and shape large balls.
- 12Let dough balls rest for about 4 minutes (or just enough time to make shaping easier).
- 13Shape the dough into desired length for buns.
- 14Sprinkle a large cookie/baking sheet with cornmeal, or lightly grease with cooking spray.
- 15Place the long pieces of dough on a baking sheet (shape once again if you need to).
- 16Cover and let rise for about 25 minutes, or until doubled.
- 17Set oven to 375 degrees.
- 18Bake for about 22-25 minutes, or until dark golden brown.
- 19If desired after the second rising and just before baking, beat one egg white with 1 teaspoon cold water, then brush on buns and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Sub/Sandwich Buns
Serving Size: 1 (1048 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 443.7
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 4.0 mg
- Sodium 603.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 11.5 g