Prep1 hr 15 mins
I have been making these for years, and I always make lots to freeze! --- The potatoes must be baked firstly, cooled completely then frozen, do not omit the eggs and warm the whipping cream with butter on top of the stove firstly, or the potato filling will not freeze properly and become soggy and soft when reheated --- the amounts listed are for 7 jumbo russet potatoes, if you are making to freeze then you may easily double or triple the amounts, keeping the green onion amount as stated in recipe or you may increase slightly --- the potatoes may be used right away or frozen, directions include method for both --- purchase the jumbo russet potatoes for this.
- 7 jumbo russet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup butter (can use more butter)
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 6 green onions, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- grated old cheddar cheese (for top)
- Prick a couple of holes in each potato with a fork.
- Bake potatoes in a 350 degree oven until soft (if your potatoes are extra big this might take about 1 hour and 15 minutes or more).
- Let cool for about 20-30 minutes then slice about 1/2-inch off the top off each potato.
- Carefully scoop out the pulp with a spoon leaving about 1/4-in potato inside the shell.
- Place the pulp into a large bowl.
- In a saucepan heat the whipping cream with butter over low heat until the butter has melted; cool for about 15 minutes, then pour over the potato pulp.
- Add 1 large egg, 1 yolk, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (or more if desired) 1 cup grated cheddar cheese and finely chopped green onions.
- Using a hand mixer beat on high speed until smooth.
- Add in seasoned salt and black pepper to taste.
- Place on a baking sheet, then fill each shell with potato mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops with a small amount parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 25 minutes or until the potato filling is set.
- Cool completely then freeze.
- TO SERVE; a day ahead remove from freezer and thaw the potatoes in the refrigerator overnight.
- Heat in a 300 degree oven until hot.
- Remove from oven then sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese, then return to oven for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- The potatoes can also be heated in the microwave on HIGH until hot.