1/3 Photos of Kittencal's Stuffed Green Bell Peppers
1 hr 15 mins
This is my own recipe I have been making for over 30 years, you may use 2 pounds of all ground beef or 1 pound each ground beef and ground pork. Try to purchase extra large firm bell peppers with flatter bottoms so that they will stand straight in the baking dish, and for a softer bell pepper you may par-boil the peppers firstly turn upside down to drain for about 30 minutes or more then stuff as directed (see bottom of the recipe) ----- see my Kittencal's Marinara Pasta Sauce (Vegetarian)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large green bell peppers
- 3 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or use 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional or to taste)
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 3 teaspoons paprika (or to taste)
- seasoning salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3/4 cup prepared marinara sauce (use your own favorite marinara sauce, or see my Kittencal's Marinara Pasta Sauce (Vegetarian))
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, slight beaten
- 2 -3 cups prepared marinara sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1Grease an 11 x 7-inch baking dish or a casserole dish.
- 2Cut off about 1/2-inch off the tops of the peppers, scoop out the seeds from inside.
- 3Discard the stems and chop the pepper tops.
- 4Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 5Add in onions, garlic, parsley, chopped pepper (from the tops) and dried chili flakes (if using) for about 7-8 minutes.
- 6Add in ground beef and Italian sausage meat; cook for about 10 minutes (you do not need to cook the ground beef completely as it will cook more in the oven).
- 7Season with seasoning salt (I use about 1 tablespoon) and black pepper then add in grated Parmesan cheese and paprika; cook for 2 minutes more; transfer mixture to a large bowl and cool for about 20 minutes (or more).
- 8Mix in the egg, cooked rice and about 3/4 cup marinara sauce; using clean hands mix thoroughly until well combined.
- 9Equally fill each pepper cavity with the beef/rice mixture.
- 10Place the peppers in prepared baking dish.
- 11Drizzle some marinara sauce over each top and then pour the rest of the sauce around each of the peppers, lifting each pepper up so that the sauce will get underneath.
- 12Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (second-lowest rack, do not bake on lowest oven rack or the bottom of the peppers will scorch).
- 13Tent loosely with heavy foil.
- 14Cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the peppers are very tender (might take longer than 1 hour depending on the size of your peppers).
- 15Uncover and sprinkle the tops with grated mozzarella cheese return to oven uncovered and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- 16**NOTE** to speed the cooking process up you can boil the pepper shells for about 6-7 minutes in boiling water, drain upside down on a towel for about 20-30 minutes or more and then fill with mixture.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Stuffed Green Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.2
- Calories from Fat 357
- Total Fat 39.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 121.9 mg
- Sodium 1323.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 33.0 g