1/5 Photos of Kittencal's Strawberry Shortcake
2 hrs 25 mins
You won't find this anywhere else this is my own recipe that I developed, the delicious yellow sponge-like cake that is just dense enough to hold the strawberries and whipped cream after making this you won't go back to any other recipe! -- plan ahead the strawberries must sit in the sugar for minimum of 6 hours to release their juices, the more sugar the better! really you can use as much whipped cream and strawberries as desired, the amounts listed are only a guideline! If desired you can make two separate cakes topped with berries and whipped cream in place of the layered. Due to the small amount of liquid in the cake it is important to have the eggs and butter at room temperature and the milk lukewarm or all the ingredients will not incorporate together while mixing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 pints fresh strawberries (hulled and sliced, or use as much as desired)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- sweetened whipped cream (use any amount desired for middle and top of the cake)
- 1Wash and remove the stems from each berry then slice.
- 2Place the sliced berries into a glass bowl, add in 3/4 - 1 cup cup sugar (the more sugar the better) toss with a spoon until well coated (the sugar will dissolve when chilled).
- 3Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to 6 hours.
- 4Generously grease two 8-inch round cake pans.
- 5In a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed cream together the butter and sugar until well blended (about 3 minutes).
- 6Add in eggs and extracts beat on medium speed for 4-5 minutes or until no sugar granules remain in the mixture.
- 7Add in milk; mix until combined.
- 8In a small bowl mix the flour with baking powder and add to the creamed mixture; beat until combined.
- 9Divide and spread the batter between the two prepared baking pans (batter will be thick!).
- 10Set oven to 350°F (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- 11Bake for about 22 minutes or until cakes test done (do not overbake cakes).
- 12Cool the cakes slightly in pan then invert each cake onto a plate to cool completely.
- 13Place HALF of the strawberries with a little juice over the top of one cake, then dollop HALF of the whipped cream.
- 14Top with the other cake, then strawberries and top with remaining whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Strawberry Shortcake
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.6
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 155.0 mg
- Sodium 334.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 42.1 g
- Protein 7.4 g