If you are a spinach salad-lover then this is one you should not pass up! Serve this to your guests or family then sit back and wait for all the rave reviews you will get! Add in some cooked shrimp or chicken breast if desired! the dressing can be made up to 2 days in advance, it will need a minimum of 2 hours chilling time to blend flavours, the dressing will make about 3/4 cup but it can easily be doubled. The salad amounts are only a guideline, all amounts can be adjusted to taste. Also see my Kittencal's Famous Greek Salad and Kittencal's Famous Caesar Salad.
- 1 lb fresh spinach (washed and dried)
- 4 large fresh white button mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese (or use feta cheese or Parmesan)
- 1 1⁄2 cups croutons (or 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds see Kittencal's Garlic Croutons)
- black pepper
- salt (optional)
- 3 hard-cooked hard-boiled eggs (peeled sliced into wedges)
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 -4 teaspoons honey (or to taste)
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- black pepper
- For the dressing; in a bowl whisk together garlic, salt, Dijon, honey and balsamic vinegar; add in olive oil in a slow steady stream until emulsified.
- Adjust honey amount adding in more if desired for a sweeter taste, then season with more salt if needed, and black pepper.
- Chill for a minimum of 2 hours before using.
- For salad; place the spinach leaves in a large glass bowl; top with sliced mushrooms, bacon, blue cheese or feta cheese, croutons and sliced red onion (if using).
- Toss all ingredients together with salad forks.
- Season with black pepper (and salt if desired).
- Place the egg wedges all around inside edges of bowl.
- Serve with prepared dressing on the side.