Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a wonderful easy side dish to chicken or meat and any leftovers freeze wonderful, it may also be baked in a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate and cut into wedges, this may be doubled but I would still only use one package or spinach or maybe 1-1/2 packages adding in too much spinach will overpower all other ingredients, prep time does not include cooking the rice --- FOR FREEZING prepare recipe as directed but do not bake, wrap pan in plastic wrap then tightly in foil and freeze, to serve thaw over night in refrigerator, remove wrapping bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until hot.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (cooked according to package directions then hand squeezed dry to remove excess moisture)
- 2 cups cooked white rice (use cold rice for this) or 2 cups brown rice (use cold rice for this)
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (can use feta but reduce to only 1/4-1/3 cup crumbled) or 2 cups swiss cheese (can use feta but reduce to only 1/4-1/3 cup crumbled)
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onions or 2 large green onions, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced (or 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk or 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- seasoning salt (to taste or can use white salt)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- grated mozzarella cheese (add on the last 5 minutes of baking) (optional)
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease a 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients with a wooden spoon, mixing very well to combine.
- Season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered or covered for 25 minutes or until set (over baking will cause a heavier denser texture if you prefer a lighter texture then bake just until set).
- Top with mozzarella cheese the last 5 minutes of baking (if using).
- Note: for a more fluffier texture casserole, 4 eggs may be used.
This is ah-may-zing!! Sooo deeelicious. Even my picky kids (who HATE anything green and remotely healthy) loved this. I used cheddar cheese this time but cant wait to try it with feta. Great comfort food & would even be great to take to a party or get together!! I will be adding this to my collection of favorites!!! Very delicious!
I was looking for a recipe for fresh spinach. Unfortunately, my kids put it at the back of the fridge and it froze, so I figured I had to use it some how. I did change this dish to using pasta (instead of rice). As I made way too much pasta noodles the other night. So let's just say this was AWESOME, my kids loved it. The noodles I were whole wheat spaghetti, I just chopped it up a bit. SO YUMMY.
This is great I did not have any spinach so i used mushrooms and it was great everything else is the same my kids loved it