1/13 Photos of Kittencal's Spinach & Four-Cheese Manicotti (Vegetarian)
1 hr 10 mins
I have been making this recipe for years, it is *the best* manicotti recipe hands down! --- I have made this many times for dinner parties and have made it for socials and large gatherings increasing amounts of coarse, I have even served this at my Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday table as an extra dish along with a turkey or ham --- to save time I always mix up the filling a day ahead and refrigerate this will also give the flavors a chance to blend together, or you may prepare up to step #9 cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours --- don't forget to cook the spinach first before using for this recipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic (no more than that or the garlic will overpower the other ingredients!)
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (can use a bit more)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt (to taste I use seasoned salt)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach (cooked according to package directions, then hand-squeezed dry to remove excess moisture)
- 8 manicotti, cooked and drained (you might use more shells so I would cook 10)
- 4 -6 cups marinara sauce (see my Kittencal's Marinara Pasta Sauce (Vegetarian))
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- mozzarella cheese, for topping (any amount desired)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3In a skillet, saute onion (if using) in oil for about 4 minutes or until softened (adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes).
- 4In a mixing bowl combine the ricotta cheese, 1-1/2 cup mozza cheese, cream cheese, 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning; beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and well combined.
- 5Season with white salt or seasoned salt and black pepper to taste.
- 6Stir in onion mixture and spinach; mix well to combine.
- 7Spoon into cooked and cooled manicotti shells.
- 8Pour half of the pasta sauce into the prepared baking dish.
- 9Arrange shells over sauce (at this point you may cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours, or continue with the recipe as follows).
- 10Top with the remaining sauce, use a spoon to spread the sauce over the shells (the sauce does not have to cover the shells completely).
- 11Sprinkle about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (or to taste) over the sauce.
- 12Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- 13Uncover and top with mozzeralla cheese (any amount desired).
- 14Bake 5 mins longer, or until cheese is melted.
- 15Let stand 10 mins before serving.
- 16Note; If desired the spinach can be omitted completely.
Browse Our Top Manicotti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Spinach & Four-Cheese Manicotti (Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (2109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.8
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 64.7 mg
- Sodium 880.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 17.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: