Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Substituting ground beef for the spicy Italian sausages will not be as good, Jimmy Dean's Spicy Pork Sausage may be used in place of the spicy Italian sausages --- although I have listed black beans red kidney beans also work well or you may use what you like, or if you are not a lover of beans you may omit, can also add in a 4-ounce can green chilies, I use lots of garlic for this you may reduce amount if desired
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional and to taste, add in for more heat)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (can use 1 package or as desired)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (do not drain add the juice in also)
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup white long grain uncooked rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional and use amount desired)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F (set oven to second-lowest rack).
- Generously grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet cook the sausage meat with onion, bell pepper and garlic until the meat is lightly browned; mix in all remaining ingredients except the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove and toss with a fork; cover with foil and continue baking for 1 hour or until the rice is soft.
- Sprinkle the top with cheddar cheese is desired.
Words out of my DH's mouth as he was going for his x3 serving "I am going to hate myself after eating this." He could not get enough. I had to make this kid friendly so I did 3 hot sausages and 3 mild. No jalapenos. I served it with chips and tortilla's. Yum!
Made this to take to the neighbors for dinner last night and came home empty handed! It was a winner. I used mild sausage, jarred jalapeno peppers and a yellow and orange pepper instead of green. Will make again. * Made this a second time, omited the rice and reduced oven time to 25 minutes. This made a great dip with corn chips.
We thought this was a good weeknight dinner. We changed out the green bell for a red - more of a personal preference and used low-sodium taco seasoning to cut back on the Na ;) We will be making this again! Thanks for a keeper.