Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This may also be made using Lil Smokies in place of meatballs --- these are at there best served from a crockpot with a long fork, you may bake the meatballs, cool then freeze just thaw in refrigerator overnight and drop in the simmering sauce, the meatballs may be oven-baked or cooked in a skillet --- you might need to adjust the sauce ingredients to suit taste, if you like more cranberry flavor then increase the cranberry sauce by half a can or one can --- also see my Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs
Top Review by CoffeeB
These went over nicely for a snacky for NewYears day. I made the meatballs the day b/f and refrigerated. Then the next day whipped together the sauce and placed all in a crock-pot for a few hours and joila...home-made meatballs. The garlic from the meatballs along with the cranberry sauce complimented each other nicely. Made for Chef's Pick in KK's forum~
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (can reduce amount)
- 2 small eggs
- 2 (1 ounce) packageslipton dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or use Tabasco, adjust to desired heat level)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs (may need more)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (no more than 1 teaspoon salt or the meatballs will be too salty!)
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) cans jellied cranberry sauce, ' (can use 2-1/2 cans or even 3 if desired)
- 1 1⁄2 cups Heinz Chili Sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Frank's red hot sauce (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl; mix well using clean hands (you might need more breadcrumbs to hold the mixture together).
- Shape into about 1-inch balls.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake 350 degrees for about 22-25 minutes or until cooked through or you may fry in a skillet.
- For the sauce; in a large saucepan over medium heat blend the cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice (start with 2 tablespoons lemon juice) and hot sauce to taste; mix to combine then adjust ingredients to suit taste if desired.
- Add in the cooked meatballs and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- transfer to a chafing dish or crockpot to keep warm.