Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Although this only uses one cup of rice this will make enough for four very hearty servings or six smaller, you may double if desired but I suggest to make in a saucepan --- make this as spicy as desired by adjusting the chili flakes and jalapeño pepper --- half a package of taco seasoning mix may be used in place of the cumin and chili powder, converted rice only for this :)
Top Review by rereksnake
I followed the recipe . . used long grain rice (probably should have used the parboil), didn't add jalapeno, and used chicken stock . .
As for the pace, use 1/2 hot and 1/2 medium.
It was nice spicy flavor, and enjoyed by all.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes (adjust amount to suit heat level)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, finely chopped (do not mince finely)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain converted white rice (Use Uncle Ben's)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups Pace Picante Sauce
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth (or use beef broth or water)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup canned and drained corn kernels or 1 cup frozen peas
- chopped green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add in cumin, paprika, chili powder, paprika, chili flakes, onions, green bell pepper and jalapeño pepper (if using) cook stirring for about 4 minutes or until onions are translucent).
- Add in garlic; cook stirring 2 minutes.
- Add in rice and stir for 1 minute.
- Add in tomato sauce, picante sauce, water or broth, seasoned salt, black pepper and corn or peas; mix with a spoon and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the top with chopped green onions if desired.