1/2 Photos of Kittencal's Spaghetti Pie
1 hr 15 mins
You will need a minimum 2-quart round casserole dish for this or this will also fit into an 11 x 7-inch baking pan this will *not* fit into a regular 9 or 10-inch pie plate --- with this or with any recipe made from scratch preparation time takes a little extra effort, to save some time and to blend the flavors prepare the tomato sauce mixture up to a day in advance and refrigerate until ready to use --- substituting prepared pasta sauce for the tomato sauce will not produce the best results I would strongly recommend using only tomato sauce, this recipe was tested both ways and the tomato sauce version was the best! --- NOTE this also may be made without the cottage cheese filling by placing the sauce directly over the spaghetti top with mozzarella cheese and reducing the baking time only slightly
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces uncooked thin spaghetti
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- salt (optional or to taste)
- 2 cups cream-style cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 lb ground beef (or use bulk Italian sausage meat or half each)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to suit heat level)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce (another 1/2 cup sauce won't hurt)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1/2 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- 1Grease a round 2-quart casserole dish or an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- 2For the sauce; in a skillet or saucepan brown the ground beef with onion and red chili flakes until no longer pink.
- 3Drain fat then add in garlic, oregano and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
- 4Add in tomato sauce, mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt, bring to a boil over medium heat stirring.
- 5Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes stirring occasionally, season with more salt to taste if desired.
- 6Meanwhile cook the spaghetti in boiling water until almost tender (undercook the spaghetti as it will soften up even more when baked in the oven) drain in a colander then rinse under cold water, drain well again then place into a large bowl.
- 7Add in melted butter, garlic powder, eggs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and black pepper; using clean hands toss/mix until well combined (use hands for mixing spaghetti this will not work with a spoon) season with salt to taste if desired.
- 8TO ASSEMBLE; spread the spaghetti mixture evenly into bottom of the pie plate, pressing down with hands to flatten.
- 9In a bowl mix 2 cups cottage cheese with 1/4 cup Parmesan and 1 cup mozzarella cheese cheese then spread over the spaghetti.
- 10Dollop the tomato sauce mixture over the cottage cheese then spread out with a spoon.
- 11Top with 1 cup or more of mozzarella cheese.
- 12Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- 13Uncover and continue to bake 10-15 minutes more or until hot and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Spaghetti Pie
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.0
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 128.4 mg
- Sodium 923.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 32.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: