1/15 Photos of Kittencal's Soft White Baguette-Style Bread
2 hrs 25 mins
If you are looking for a wonderful tender no-fail bread that you do not have to bother shaping into bread pans, then this is one that is fantastic! It is so simple to make on a heavy-duty stand mixer, although I have never tried this on a bread machine, I think you might just have good results that way also.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare one large cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or sprinkled with yellow cornmeal.
- 2Attach the kneader blade to a heavy-duty stand mixer.
- 3In the stainless steel bowl, dump 3 cups flour (to start) 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon sugar.
- 4Melt the butter or Crisco shortening in the microwave for about 22 seconds then dump into the bowl with the flour, sugar and salt.
- 5In a small cup add in the yeast with 1 teaspoon sugar in 1-1/4 cups warm water; cover with small clean cloth, and proof the yeast for 8-10 minutes, stirring just once with a small spoon or whisk (if the yeast doesn't foam discard and start again).
- 6After 10 minutes, add in the yeast/water mixture into the bowl and start kneading, adding in more flour as needed to create a soft semi-sticky dough (careful not to add in too much flour, as this will create a heavy bread!).
- 7Knead for 7-8 minutes, or until dough is the right texture and is smooth.
- 8Remove dough from the bowl, and let sit on a lightly floured surface covered with a clean tea towel for 10 minutes (this is important!).
- 9After 10 minutes, knead very gently (dough will come together nicely).
- 10Form into a semi-round ball.
- 11Grease a large glass bowl (I just use the same stainless steel bowl that I made the dough in).
- 12Place the dough in the oiled bowl; cover with a clean tea towel and set in a warm place to rise aproximmately 1 hour.
- 13Punch down dough and remove to a floured surface.
- 14At this point you may cut the dough in half to make two small long breads, or keep into one piece for one large loaf.
- 15Using hands shape into a rectangle (no need to use a rolling pin this dough will shape very easy).
- 16Roll up tightly then seal all edges.
- 17Cover the shaped loaf/s with a clean dry tea towel, and let rise for about 30-35 minutes in a warm place.
- 18After rising set oven to 375 degrees F.
- 19In a small cup whisk/mix together 1 egg white with 1 teaspoon cold water.
- 20Lightly brush the egg white mixture over the dough, then sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- 21Bake for 25-33 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Soft White Baguette-Style Bread
Serving Size: 1 (781 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1689.8
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 2605.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 308.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.3 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 47.4 g