Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
If you are looking for a wonderful tender no-fail bread that you do not have to bother shaping into bread pans, then this is one that is fantastic! It is so simple to make on a heavy-duty stand mixer, although I have never tried this on a bread machine, I think you might just have good results that way also.
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 -4 cups flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- sesame seeds
- Prepare one large cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or sprinkled with yellow cornmeal.
- Attach the kneader blade to a heavy-duty stand mixer.
- In the stainless steel bowl, dump 3 cups flour (to start) 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Melt the butter or Crisco shortening in the microwave for about 22 seconds then dump into the bowl with the flour, sugar and salt.
- In a small cup add in the yeast with 1 teaspoon sugar in 1-1/4 cups warm water; cover with small clean cloth, and proof the yeast for 8-10 minutes, stirring just once with a small spoon or whisk (if the yeast doesn't foam discard and start again).
- After 10 minutes, add in the yeast/water mixture into the bowl and start kneading, adding in more flour as needed to create a soft semi-sticky dough (careful not to add in too much flour, as this will create a heavy bread!).
- Knead for 7-8 minutes, or until dough is the right texture and is smooth.
- Remove dough from the bowl, and let sit on a lightly floured surface covered with a clean tea towel for 10 minutes (this is important!).
- After 10 minutes, knead very gently (dough will come together nicely).
- Form into a semi-round ball.
- Grease a large glass bowl (I just use the same stainless steel bowl that I made the dough in).
- Place the dough in the oiled bowl; cover with a clean tea towel and set in a warm place to rise aproximmately 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and remove to a floured surface.
- At this point you may cut the dough in half to make two small long breads, or keep into one piece for one large loaf.
- Using hands shape into a rectangle (no need to use a rolling pin this dough will shape very easy).
- Roll up tightly then seal all edges.
- Cover the shaped loaf/s with a clean dry tea towel, and let rise for about 30-35 minutes in a warm place.
- After rising set oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small cup whisk/mix together 1 egg white with 1 teaspoon cold water.
- Lightly brush the egg white mixture over the dough, then sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake for 25-33 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
Another great bread! I followed the directions exactly. I used my kitchaid mixer. The bread came out soft and delicious. Thanks kittencal for another great bread recipe!
I have a new bread pan and wanted to try it out so I made this recipe. Love it! I think that my loaves came out beautifully. I did use my bread machine for the dough, and I used a whole egg instead of only the white for brushing, which is probably why my loves browned so well. I used about 3 1/2 cups of bread flour, and sprinkled the tops with sea salt and sesame seeds. You can always count on Kittencal's recipes to deliver great results!
My daughter made this at my house today. Oh my word. Perfect. Soft, delicious! I have to make myself stop eating it! Thanks, Kittencal, for another awesome recipe!