Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you are looking for a wonderful tender no-fail bread that you do not have to bother shaping into bread pans, then this is one that is fantastic! It is so simple to make on a heavy-duty stand mixer, although I have never tried this on a bread machine, I think you might just have good results that way also.
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 -4 cups flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare one large cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or sprinkled with yellow cornmeal.
- Attach the kneader blade to a heavy-duty stand mixer.
- In the stainless steel bowl, dump 3 cups flour (to start) 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Melt the butter or Crisco shortening in the microwave for about 22 seconds then dump into the bowl with the flour, sugar and salt.
- In a small cup add in the yeast with 1 teaspoon sugar in 1-1/4 cups warm water; cover with small clean cloth, and proof the yeast for 8-10 minutes, stirring just once with a small spoon or whisk (if the yeast doesn't foam discard and start again).
- After 10 minutes, add in the yeast/water mixture into the bowl and start kneading, adding in more flour as needed to create a soft semi-sticky dough (careful not to add in too much flour, as this will create a heavy bread!).
- Knead for 7-8 minutes, or until dough is the right texture and is smooth.
- Remove dough from the bowl, and let sit on a lightly floured surface covered with a clean tea towel for 10 minutes (this is important!).
- After 10 minutes, knead very gently (dough will come together nicely).
- Form into a semi-round ball.
- Grease a large glass bowl (I just use the same stainless steel bowl that I made the dough in).
- Place the dough in the oiled bowl; cover with a clean tea towel and set in a warm place to rise aproximmately 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and remove to a floured surface.
- At this point you may cut the dough in half to make two small long breads, or keep into one piece for one large loaf.
- Using hands shape into a rectangle (no need to use a rolling pin this dough will shape very easy).
- Roll up tightly then seal all edges.
- Cover the shaped loaf/s with a clean dry tea towel, and let rise for about 30-35 minutes in a warm place.
- After rising set oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small cup whisk/mix together 1 egg white with 1 teaspoon cold water.
- Lightly brush the egg white mixture over the dough, then sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake for 25-33 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.