1/3 Photos of Kittencal's Soft Tender Crescent Rolls
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 50 mins
One of the best recipes for crescent rolls! ---I have made this dough using *all* butter in place of shortening and it was just *not* as good, although you could use 1/4 cup of each of shortening and butter if desired --- you could use two eggs for this recipe, but I find that the dough just takes forever to rise and using one egg is just as good :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup milk (full-fat or 2% milk is best)
- 1/2 cup Butter Flavor Crisco (can 1/4 cup each half butter and butter flavor shortening)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 teaspoons yeast (for a quicker rising time use 1 tablespoon yeast, it will not effect the taste)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (more as needed)
- melted butter
- 1Heat the milk, Crisco, sugar and salt on top of stove until fairly warm (just until the butter melts, but does not have to melt completely) remove from heat and cool until warm but not hot (if you are in a hurry, place in the fridge for about 20 minutes).
- 2Warm egg slightly in warm water to bring to room temperature only.
- 3When milk is still warm but not hot, place 3-1/2 cups flour in the Kitchen Aid stainless steel mixing bowl bowl with room temp egg and cooled milk/butter mixture, mix, cover with a towel to keep all ingredients warm while proofing yeast.
- 4Proof yeast in water with 1 tsp sugar for 10 minutes until foamy, then add to bowl.
- 5Start mixing/kneading (adding more flour until a smooth semi-sticky dough is formed (knead for about 8-10 minutes on the heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with a kneader blade.
- 6Remove the dough and let stand covered with a clean dish towel for 10 minutes.
- 7Gather up dough and knead gently for a couple of times, then form into a ball.
- 8Place dough into a well greased bowl.
- 9Cover and rise for 1 - 1-1/2 hours.
- 10Punch down dough.
- 11Divide dough into two or three balls, (three sections will give you smaller crescents) then roll into an even circle with a rolling pin and spread/brush liberally with melted butter (use only butter!).
- 12This is a great tip, roll out the dough and just sit a small pizza pan lightly on top of your rolled dough, then run a pizza cutter all around the edges of the pizza pan, you will have an even round circle.
- 13Cut into even size triangles (I use a pizza cutter for this!).
- 14Roll up the dough starting at the larger end.
- 15Place on a baking sheet that has been lightly brushed with melted butter.
- 16Cover and rise for about 30-45 minutes or until almost doubled.
- 17Bake for about 20 minutes at 375°.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Soft Tender Crescent Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (33 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 98.5
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 9.2 mg
- Sodium 84.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 1.9 g