2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
if you are a garlic-lover then you will love these tender soft homemade buns, I suggest for U.S. members to use 2-1/2 cups bread flour or can use half bread and all-purpose flour, for Canadian members you may use 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, make certain that your egg is at room temperature you may speed up the process by placing the cold egg in a small bowl of fairly warm water (not hot) for about 15 minutes --- these are at their best when eaten warm out of the oven :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup butter, melted (can use a little more butter)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (more for sprinkling on top of buns if desired)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (can use 1-1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (not hot, and not scalded)
- 2 tablespoons shortening, room temperature
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1Spray two round 8-inch baking pans with cooking spray (preferable a dark metal pan).
- 2Melt 1/3 cup butter then mix in 1 teaspoon garlic powder until well combined.
- 3Drizzle enough melted butter/garlic mixture to lightly cover the bottom of the pan; set the remaining butter/garlic mixture aside to use later.
- 4Attach the kneader blade to the heavy duty stand mixer.
- 5In a small bowl or cup proof the yeast with 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/2 cup warm water for about 8-10 minutes or until foamy (if the yeast does not foam discard and start again).
- 6In the stainless steel mixing bowl from a heavy duty stand mixer combine 2-1/2 cups flour with 1 tablespoon sugar, salt and 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons garlic powder, warm milk, soft shortening and egg.
- 7After the yeast has been proofed pour into the bowl then start mixing/kneading adding in a little more flour if needed to create a soft smooth dough (kneading time should take about 7-8 minutes).
- 8Remove to a greased bowl; cover and allow the dough to rise until doubled in size (about 1 to 1-1/2 hours, rising time will vary depending on the temperature of your kitchen and also dough with added egg will take longer to rise).
- 9Punch down the dough then divide into 10 even pieces then shape into balls.
- 10Place 5 balls in each pan (4 around the edges and 1 in the middle).
- 11Stir the reserved melted butter/garlic mixture once again before using as the garlic powder may have settled on the bottom, the lightly drizzle on top of each bun.
- 12Using your hands turn the balls to coat in the butter mixture.
- 13For even more garlic flavor pinch a small amount of garlic powder between your fingers then sprinkle over the top of each dough ball.
- 14Cover with a light clean tea towel and allow to rise for about 30 minutes or until almost doubled in size.
- 15Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Soft and Tender Pull-Apart Garlic Rolls/Buns
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.0
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 36.5 mg
- Sodium 302.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 5.2 g