As like my Kittencal's Tuna Salad Sandwiches this is simple but big on flavor and also will work wonderful using cooked fresh cold leftover salmon in place of canned, once you taste this you will crave it all the time! ---plan ahead the salmon mixture needs to chill for at least 2 hours or more before using don't think about using it before that time the longer chilling time the better! --- two cans of salmon should give you three sandwiches but it will depend on how much salmon filling you use --- you may also add in 1/2 cup or more of finely chopped seeded cucumber if desired, all amounts may be adjusted to taste.
- 2 (7 ounce) cans red salmon, drained and bones removed (or you may mix the soft bones in for added calcium)
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise (keep the mayonnaise to a minimum or it will take away the flavor of the salad)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper (or to taste, or fresh ground black pepper)
- seasoning salt (to taste) or white salt (to taste)
- 6 slices bread, toasted (white or whole wheat)
- 6 teaspoons soft butter (optional)
- 3 lettuce leaves
- 1 roma tomato, thinly sliced
- In a bowl using a fork mash the salmon with mayonnaise and lemon juice.
- Add in green onions, celery, lemon pepper and seasoned salt.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or more.
- Toast bread slices, then lightly butter 1 side of each slice or you may leave the bread dry.
- Place a lettuce leaf over 3 slices of buttered toast.
- Scoop the salmon mixture onto the lettuce then spread.
- Top with 2 thinly sliced tomatoes.
- Cover each with a bread slice.
- Slice in half and enjoy!