Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
The amounts listed are only a guideline you may adjust all amounts to taste, fresh lemon juice only please, use fresh cooked crab meat or imitation, whatever you prefer to use, if using previously frozen then thawed shrimp hand squeeze out all excess moisture from the shrimp before using in the salad, plan ahead there is a chilling time before serving.
Top Review by Catnip46
I made this the other night for supper. I thought it was good but when I had it for lunch the next day it was even better. I omitted the hot sauce, red pepper and next time I won't use as much Old Bay Seasoning. I not crazy for the taste of Old Bay. This is a keeper for sure. Thanks again.
- 1 (8 ounce) packagedry small shell pasta
- 1 lb small cooked shrimp (chopped or left whole)
- 1 lb cooked crabmeat (can use imitation crab meat)
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large green onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely cubed provolone cheese (or use mozzarella cheese or cheese of choice)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed (optional, or can use 1/3 cup sliced black olives)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (such as Hellman's mayonnaise)
- 1⁄2 cup salad dressing (such as Miracle Whip salad dressing)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (or use more)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- hot sauce (to taste, such as Louisiana hot sauce or Tabasco sauce)
- whipping cream (use only if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot cook the shell pasta in boiling water until al dente (leave slightly firm, do not over cook) drain, then rinse the pasta under cold water then allow to drain very well then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add in cooked shrimp, crab meat, celery, red bell pepper, green onions, cubed mozzarella cheese and thawed peas or black olives (if using) toss to combine.
- In a bowl whisk together the mayonnaise with salad dressing, sour cream, garlic powder, lemon juice and Old Bay seasoning (start with 1 teaspoon Old Bay and add in more to taste) pour over the salad and toss to combine, then mix in the hot sauce.
- Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- If the salad is too dry for your liking then mix in some whipping cream or more mayonnaise.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours or more before serving (the longer chilling time the better).