Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These shortbread bars is one of my all-time favorite recipes... I find that baking shortbread in a baking pan somehow produces a flakier, richer cookie...I'm sure you will enjoy these as much as we do.
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar (confectioners)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- additional icing sugar, for dusting
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare an ungreased 11 x 7-inch baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Spread into a prepared ungreased baking pan.
- Prick well several times with a fork.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the edges just begin to brown.
- Remove from oven the dust with more icing sugar.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into bars.
Delicious and buttery shortbread! I added 1.5 tsp vanilla and baked 24 minutes in an 8x8 dark metal pan. I let sit in the pan for about 10 minutes before I flipped it onto a rack to cool. I used this recipe to make shortbread jam bars.. I cut in half and spread warm jam to make a "sandwich." I then topped with a sugar cookie glaze. Indulgent!
Wonderful recipe! I doubled the recipe and lightly pressed in into a 13x9 pan. I also mixed in some dried cranberries, orange zest and pecans for a delicious tangy twist. Five stars!!!!!!!
I have to double the recipe just to have enough to pack in my husbands' lunch the next day.....excellent recipe!! Thanks!