1/14 Photos of Kittencal's Scalloped Potato and Ground Beef Casserole
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Sliced potatoes in a delicious creamy sauce on the bottom then topped with a ground beef mixture --- instead of layering the potatoes you can just mix them with the sauce in a large bowl transfer to the baking dish then top with the ground beef mixture either way is fine but the potatoes will cook a little faster if mixed with the sauce --- feel free to throw in some cooked chopped green beans, mushrooms, corn niblets to the ground beef mixture or whatever you wish, I also like sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese over the potato mixture before topping with the ground beef and then again after the casserole has been cooked, this casserole is very versatile and you don't have to worry about the exact amounts --- to save time you may cook the ground beef mixture a day ahead and refrigerate, all ingredients may be reduced to half if desired to yield 4-6 and baked in a smaller baking dish--- NOTE some of the reviewers are stating that the potatoes are taking a long time to cook so you may want to pop them in the microwave first just to soften slightly,
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (or use bulk Italian sausage meat, can increase the ground beef slightly)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (adjust to taste) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1/2 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 5 -6 russet potatoes (peeled and sliced thinly, or use as many as desired)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted (using any other flavor of soup will not be as good)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 3/4 light cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1In a skillet cook the ground beef with onion, bell pepper and chili flakes (if using) until no longer pink; drain fat over a colander.
- 2Return to pan and add in garlic, season salt and black pepper; cook stirring with a wooden spoon until the meat is lightly browned (I usually add in about 1-2 tablespoons bacon fat that I keep frozen in my freezer to the meat while browning for added flavor and it also helps to brown the meat) set aside.
- 3For the sauce; in a medium bowl mix together the undiluted soup with onion, milk, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, seasoned salt and black pepper to taste; mix well to combine.
- 4In a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish or a large oval casserole dish, alternately layer the sliced potatoes on bottom of the baking dish, then soup mixture (I like to sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on top of the soup mixture) then the ground beef mixture on top.
- 5Since this is a large casserole I strongly suggest to place the baking dish on a jelly-roll sheet in case of any spills.
- 6Bake covered with foil for about 1 hour at 350 degrees F.
- 7Uncover and continue baking for another 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender (baking time will vary depending on the thickness of your sliced potatoes).
- 8Remove from oven then sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese; return to oven for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Scalloped Potato and Ground Beef Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.8
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 103.8 mg
- Sodium 835.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 29.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: