Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I usually make this from pork sausages but any kind of pan drippings will do, the amounts listed will give you about 2 cups but can be easily doubled, it freezes well so make a double batch and freeze half for next time, just pop it in the microwave to defrost and warm when ready to use -- this is *very* good! ---- also see my Kittencal's Easy No-Fail Make Anytime Turkey Gravy
Top Review by ColiesKitchen
This is a really great recipe and we all loved it. Next time I would use half the amount of pepper. It was just too hot and was a bit over kill. I think half would be just as good if not a lot better. I can't wait to make this again!!
- 2 tablespoons pan drippings (from pork sausages, chicken etc or use bacon fat)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (lots of black pepper!)
- salt (optional)
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup 18% table cream or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the pan drippings over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook until lightly golden brown (about 3-4 minutes, the flour must be light brown!).
- Add in black pepper and garlic powder; then add in the broth and whisk until smooth; bring to a simmer, then slowly whisk in the cream.
- Cook until slightly thickened (about 4-5 minutes).
- Season with more black pepper and salt if desired.