Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Comfort food at it's best, this is a family favorite that goes back years! --- Jimmy Dean has a wonderful bulk sausage roll that will work great for this recipe, you may adjust the pepper flakes to suit heat level, my family likes extreme heat so I use 2 heaping teaspoons or you may use spicy sausage meat --- serve this over biscuits, I also like to serve it over mashed potatoes or fries :)
Top Review by mommyoffour
This is very good. I made this after DD requested it for dinner the other night. I was on the lookout for a creamier gravy then mine and this is it. Thank you for sharing, we loved it.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb bulk pork sausage (can use sausages with casings removed, or turkey sausages)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste, adjust to suit heat level)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour (for a thicker gravy increase slightly)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 cups milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1⁄2 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 8 prepared biscuits (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the sausage meat with onion (if using) in a large skillet over medium heat until sausage meat no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add in crushed red pepper flakes and cook stirring until the meat is lightly browned (about 12-15 minutes, the meat must be browned).
- Stir in 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoon flour into the skillet and mix until dissolved with the meat (about 2 minutes).
- Add in the cream and Worcestershire sauce; cook over medium-low heat until thickened and bubbly (about 5 minutes).
- Add in salt and ground black pepper.
- Serve over biscuits.