1/5 Photos of Kittencal's Sausage Sawmill Gravy (With Biscuits)
Comfort food at it's best, this is a family favorite that goes back years! --- Jimmy Dean has a wonderful bulk sausage roll that will work great for this recipe, you may adjust the pepper flakes to suit heat level, my family likes extreme heat so I use 2 heaping teaspoons or you may use spicy sausage meat --- serve this over biscuits, I also like to serve it over mashed potatoes or fries :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2-3/4 lb bulk pork sausage (can use sausages with casings removed, or turkey sausages)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste, adjust to suit heat level)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour (for a thicker gravy increase slightly)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream or 2 cups milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1/2 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 8 prepared biscuits (optional)
- 1Cook the sausage meat with onion (if using) in a large skillet over medium heat until sausage meat no longer pink; drain fat.
- 2Add in crushed red pepper flakes and cook stirring until the meat is lightly browned (about 12-15 minutes, the meat must be browned).
- 3Stir in 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoon flour into the skillet and mix until dissolved with the meat (about 2 minutes).
- 4Add in the cream and Worcestershire sauce; cook over medium-low heat until thickened and bubbly (about 5 minutes).
- 5Add in salt and ground black pepper.
- 6Serve over biscuits.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Sausage Sawmill Gravy (With Biscuits)
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.4
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 98.0 mg
- Sodium 105.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: