Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This stuffing pairs well with my Kittencal's Perfect Roasted Whole Turkey (Great for Beginners), for an 18-20 pound turkey you will need to *double* the recipe, the amounts listed are for a 10-pound turkey --- I strongly suggest to prepare this stuffing a day ahead as the flavors will combine together, this may also be baking in a casserole dish covered with foil in a 350 degree f oven for about 30-35 minutes --- *note* for 6 cups bread cubes I use about half of an unsliced French bread (not a baguette) for a double recipe use all of the loaf :)
- 6 cups bread cubes (use a mixture of whole wheat and white bread)
- 1 lb pork sausage (I use mild Italian sausauges with casings removed)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 small celery ribs, diced
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried sage (start with 2 teaspoons adding in more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 large apple (peeled, cored and chopped, use Granny Smith or Golden delicious)
- 1 cup dried craisin (or use dried cranberries)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans
- 3⁄4-1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the bread cubes onto a large baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake about 6-7 minutes or until toasted evenly.
- Transfer the bread cubes to a large bowl; set aside (this may be done a day ahead).
- In a large skillet cook the pork sausage meat with onion, garlic and thyme until browned breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon while cooking.
- Add in celery, sage and rosemary; cook stirring with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the sausage mixture over the toasted bread cubes in the bowl.
- Add in chopped apple, craisins or dried cranberries, chopped fresh parsley and toasted nuts; toss well to combine and season with black pepper.
- Drizzle the chicken stock and melted butter over the mixture; toss lightly to combine (if the mixture is too dry then add in a little more broth).
- Spoon the mixture loosley into the whole turkey (do not pack in the stuffing you can bake any extra in a baking dish).
My dd has made this for the last 2 xmas's,she doesn't add sausage but everything else plus rosemary,for us its perfect.Someday I will add pork when I make stuffing thanks.
My Aunt always made something similar to this and this was the closest recipe I could find online for my work Christmas party last year. I am making it now for my boyfriend's birthday. I am really excited about it, it is a great recipe!!!! I doubled the recipe and use 1 tube of Italian sausage and 1 tube of sage sausage. Thanks kittencal, you rock!
i omitted the apple and pecans due to personal preference (picky eaters) but this is one of the best stuffing recipes i have ever had. thanks for sharing.