Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is total comfort food at it's very best! ---to save time this may also be made using store bought frozen hamburger patties ---the yield amount for this is six if you like lots of gravy then increase amounts to 3 cups beef broth and 6-7 tablespoons flour --- this is a must served with mashed potatoes :)
- 29.58 ml oil (more as needed)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 226.79 g sliced fresh white button mushrooms or 283.49 g can canned mushroom slices, drained
- 59.16 ml all-purpose flour (use 5 tablespoons for a thicker gravy)
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper (to taste, optional, optional) (optional) or 0.25 ml crushed red pepper flakes (to taste ) (optional)
- 473.18 ml canned low sodium beef broth
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 4.92-9.85 ml beef bouillon powder (or to taste, add in for a stronger beef flavor) (optional)
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 14.79-29.58 ml fresh minced garlic
- 1 large egg
- 28.34 g package dry onion soup mix (can use one package, do not add in any extra salt to the hamburger mixture)
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 59.14 ml dry breadcrumbs
- 2.46-4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- In a bowl combine all hamburger mixture until combined.
- Shape into 6 patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in hamburger patties, cook until browned on each side (about 3-4 minutes per side, the burgers do not have to be cooked all the way through as they will finish cooking completely in the gravy) remove to a plate.
- To the same skillet add in sliced onion and mushrooms; cook stirring scraping up any browned bits that have accumulated on the bottom of the skillet; cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the onions are softened (adding in more oil if needed).
- Add in flour and cayenne pepper; stir for 2 minutes.
- Add in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper; bring to a simmer stirring continuously until bubbly and thickened (at this point you may add in the beef bouillon powder).
- Add in the patties back to the skillet.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes turning the patties over once halfway through cooking.
this is pure comfort food. made using ground turkey and chicken boullion. am not big meat eater so make half recipe but still divided into 4 patties sso good
I made this tonight. I am not fond of Salisbury steak. I thought my son was but he is so not. If I had to like Salisbury steak this would be it. I really liked the gravy.
What can I say this recipe is Delicious. Followed it exactly. Will be making this on a regular basis. This is so good you eat it and are so full but you want more!!!! Thank you for such a Great recipe!!!