Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is total comfort food at it's very best! ---to save time this may also be made using store bought frozen hamburger patties ---the yield amount for this is six if you like lots of gravy then increase amounts to 3 cups beef broth and 6-7 tablespoons flour --- this is a must served with mashed potatoes :)
- 2 tablespoons oil (more as needed)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced fresh white button mushrooms or 1 (10 ounce) can canned mushroom slices, drained
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (use 5 tablespoons for a thicker gravy)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (to taste, optional, optional) (optional) or 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (to taste ) (optional)
- 2 cups canned low sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon beef bouillon powder (or to taste, add in for a stronger beef flavor) (optional)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 large egg
- 0.5 (2 ounce) package dry onion soup mix (can use one package, do not add in any extra salt to the hamburger mixture)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl combine all hamburger mixture until combined.
- Shape into 6 patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in hamburger patties, cook until browned on each side (about 3-4 minutes per side, the burgers do not have to be cooked all the way through as they will finish cooking completely in the gravy) remove to a plate.
- To the same skillet add in sliced onion and mushrooms; cook stirring scraping up any browned bits that have accumulated on the bottom of the skillet; cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the onions are softened (adding in more oil if needed).
- Add in flour and cayenne pepper; stir for 2 minutes.
- Add in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper; bring to a simmer stirring continuously until bubbly and thickened (at this point you may add in the beef bouillon powder).
- Add in the patties back to the skillet.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes turning the patties over once halfway through cooking.