1/5 Photos of Kittencal's Salisbury Steak With Mushrooms and Onion Gravy
This is total comfort food at it's very best! ---to save time this may also be made using store bought frozen hamburger patties ---the yield amount for this is six if you like lots of gravy then increase amounts to 3 cups beef broth and 6-7 tablespoons flour --- this is a must served with mashed potatoes :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil (more as needed)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced fresh white button mushrooms or 1 (10 ounce) can canned mushroom slices, drained
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (use 5 tablespoons for a thicker gravy)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (to taste, optional, optional) (optional) or 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (to taste ) (optional)
- 2 cups canned low sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon beef bouillon powder (or to taste, add in for a stronger beef flavor) (optional)
- 1In a bowl combine all hamburger mixture until combined.
- 2Shape into 6 patties.
- 3Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4Add in hamburger patties, cook until browned on each side (about 3-4 minutes per side, the burgers do not have to be cooked all the way through as they will finish cooking completely in the gravy) remove to a plate.
- 5To the same skillet add in sliced onion and mushrooms; cook stirring scraping up any browned bits that have accumulated on the bottom of the skillet; cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the onions are softened (adding in more oil if needed).
- 6Add in flour and cayenne pepper; stir for 2 minutes.
- 7Add in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper; bring to a simmer stirring continuously until bubbly and thickened (at this point you may add in the beef bouillon powder).
- 8Add in the patties back to the skillet.
- 9Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes turning the patties over once halfway through cooking.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Salisbury Steak With Mushrooms and Onion Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 299.3
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 82.4 mg
- Sodium 524.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 18.4 g