1/12 Photos of Kittencal's Salisbury Steak
1 hr 20 mins
This is total comfort food at it's best, I have been making this for over 20 years and it is still one of my family's favorite meals, a must served with mashed potatoes or fries, this also will work great using pork chops, not the fast fry chops --- this ground beef amount should give you 7-8 fair-sized burgers but will depend on how large you make them, and will also work great using thicker cut pork chops, if desired you may use your own favorite recipe to season the hamburger --- you will need a large skillet for this recipe or your electric fry pan will work great, do not add in any salt to the soup mixture or the burgers the dry onion soup mix is salty enough, I also recommend using low-sodium mushroom soup --- also see my Kittencal's Salisbury Steak With Mushrooms and Onion Gravy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or use 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 of a package dry onion soup mix (can use the whole 2-ounce package)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (more if needed to hold the mixture together)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional, I like to add it in)
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted (for more gravy use 3 cans)
- 1/2 of a package dry onion soup mix (I use Lipton's 2-ounce package)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 -4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup 18% table cream (to thin if necessary)
- 1In a bowl mix together all ingredients for the burgers.
- 2Shape into desired size patties.
- 3Heat 1-2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4Brown the burgers for about 4-5 minutes on each side (the burger will be browned on the outside they do not have to be fully cooked as they will cook more in the gravy; remove to a plate.
- 5Add in onion and saute for about 3 minutes scraping up the browned bits with a wooden spoon while stirring.
- 6Add in fresh garlic and canned mushrooms; cook stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- 7In a medium bowl, mix together cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 package dry onion soup mix, grated Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper; mix well to combine then add to the skillet and bring to a simmer over medium heat stirring.
- 8Reduce heat to low and stir in the cream to thin out the gravy (if you prefer a very thick gravy omit the cream).
- 9Place the burgers back then turn to coat with a spoon to coat the burgers with the soup mixture.
- 10Simmer uncovered on low heat for 1 hour or even longer (I have simmered this for 2 hours on low heat, stirring occasionally, turning the burgers over a few time during cooking).
- 11Serve with or over fries or mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Salisbury Steak
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.2
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 89.8 mg
- Sodium 604.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 20.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup